Well thirty days have passed and despite the last week being laid up in bed with the norovirus, I have stumbled over the line and completed Nanowrimo. It was a good job I was ahead of the word count before the bug hit, otherwise I would be writing about another Nanowrimo failure. I didn’t post anything at the outset as I was in two minds whether I would it again this year. I also didn’t want to herald another failure. At the last minute I decided to do it. Thankfully I did as I have now a draft completed.
At this moment I have a feeling of elation, tiredness, and weakness (as a result of the illness). The first draft stands at 50, 067 words, though a quick scan of the finished draft suggests that some of that will be cut from the final version.
The story arc is complete but I now need to give it a thorough edit. Given that it has been written at speed, my pages are awash with green and red squiggles that Word kindly uses to indicate the error of your ways.
This is a long way from being publishable which I am under no illusions at this part of the process. I see this as the something to edit stage. This is more than I had at the start of the month. Which I suppose is the point of the exercise with Nanowrimo.
Here’s to the editing process. Which I am assured is just as painful as sitting down to writing a novel.